Carrot Cake Recipe
- 6oz dark brown sugar
- 6oz caster sugar
- 5oz softened butter (unsalted)
- 3.5oz natural yoghurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium-sized eggs
- 10oz shredded carrots
- Small wedge of fresh ginger
- 6oz self-raising flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the Icing:
- 2oz icing sugar
- 7oz cream cheese
- 1 lime
- 3.5oz walnuts
1) Heat oven to 340 degrees Fahrenheit. Line bottom and sides of two 8 inch round springform pans with parchment paper, then lightly spray pan with cooking spray. Whisk butter (room temperature), yoghurt, caster and dark brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, mixed spice and salt. Add the eggs one at a time. Stir in the graded carrots and ginger. Use a spatula to fold in the sifted flour and baking soda.
2) Pour the mixture into the springform pans and bake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If any wet mixture clings to the skewer, return to the oven for 5 mins and check again. Leave to cool in the tins for two hours.
3) To make the icing, beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and lime juice and zest together. Remove the cakes from the tins and sandwich together with half the icing. Top with the remaining icing and walnuts.
Freshly baked carrot cake will keep well for about 1 week in the fridge when properly stored.
Best eaten at room temperature.
This entry was posted in Recipes